I've purchased items directly from their website, and from ebay and have generally been satisfied. My only complaint was that once I tried buying a game from their site (Legend of Blacksilver I believe) and got no response for days. Suddenly I see it listed on ebay a week or two later. I complained about the lack of response and got a reply something along the lines of "I've been ill lately". Too ill to reply but not ill enough to list games on ebay it seems. Again, generally satisfied, and never really got shafted by them.

As for the "2nd chance" (you lose the auction but they offer you another copy for your max bid) that has been offered to me once or twice by different sellers, usually ones I've done previous business with. It can be argued either way if it benefits the seller or the buyer (damn market volatility and all) but generally I see it as a kind gesture. Haggling appears to have been taken as an insult in this case. A possible way to offset the small premium paid on such a deal is to ask if they have anything else you may be interested in, and negotiate on those.

Also note that one of the worst ebay scams in history was where someone was selling collectable miniatures or something, took the winner's money, made a 2nd chance offer to the 2nd and 3rd place bidders, took *their* money, and split town.