Currently it's image only due to the fact that it's only the covers and the Table of Contents. I did, however, plan to include some text information about each issue. If I do end up putting up the contents of the magazines, then I will make sure to choose a format that is text-aware, so that you may be able to search individually each throughout each issue. As for an overall index, that's a possibility too. Actually I believe CGW did put out annual indexes starting in 1986 or so, but I have never seen one.

Stephane

Tomas Buteler wrote:
I checked it out, and liked it a lot. Great idea, by
the way.

One doubt, though: is it image only, or some amount of
text input will be available as well? I'm no expert in
database or anything, but I'd like to be able to
search the magazines for contents (reviews, previews,
hints or even ads), without having to browse through
all the images. Any ideas? Am I talking nonsense here,
or got the wrong idea about the museum?

Anyway, I got a few magazines myself (20-30), some of
them are even cut out already :) Never did have much
care for them, even though I was an avid reader.
Although mine are mostly post-92/93 (hey, some of
those mags are almost as old as me!), I would be glad
to help out in the beginning.

Best regards,

Tomas

--- Stephane Racle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hehe. You may be willing to cut up my magazines, but
I'm not! Well, I'd
cut up duplicate issues. It probably wouldn't be too
difficult for
issues 25 and up, but the earlier ones can be
difficult to find.

I guess the options are...

Stick to covers/ToC - ZD is probably less likely to
notice and may not
care all that much. But then, you don't get all the
interesting articles!
Contact ZD - High (?) chance of getting rejected,
but potentially
permission to scan the articles.

The question is... how much does ZD care about these
older magazines?
Would they be willing to let someone scan/display
them for free? The way
I see it, this only generates interest for the
magazine. However, ZD may
want to make people pay.

Any thoughts? Anybody know anyone at ZD? :-) Some of
these early
articles are extremely interesting and very well
written. It really
would be great to have them available.

Stephane

Jim Leonard wrote:

Regardless of how it turns out, please make sure

to provide text or

text-aware file formats, like PDF that has been

OCR'd, or DjVu (no

OCR'd text, but separates text and background

graphics and compresses

each with separate algorithm for better

compression, also supports

progressive downloading and localized decoding

which is great for

modem users (they can look at a section of the

page without

downloading the whole thing)).

As for approaching it the right way, tell ZD about

your project and

ask that you are willing to host the pages, do all

the scanning, tell

them you'll offer pages in multiple formats, etc.

and that all you ask

in return is permission from the company to do so.

 To help sweeten

the deal, tell them you're willing to cut up the

magazines for the

best scan.  Seriously.  Crappy 300 DPI JPG scans

that are warped

because the magazine binding is still intact won't

impress anyone :)

However, you run a big risk of getting a cease and

desist letter in

return.  But since you already run the risk of

that, you might as well

contact them right now instead of running the site

for two years,

building it up, and THEN getting the cease and

desist letter.

I wish the best of luck, I personally would love

to read some of those

older reviews.  If/When contacting ZD, make sure

you actually call

people on the phone; email inquiries to generic

addresses rarely get

to the *right* person.

Feldhamer, Stuart wrote:

Hey, if you approach it the right way, they might

even pay you to do

it...

Stuart