When I started collecting a few years back, I had an entire 8.5 x 11 sheet of titles, search terms, publishers, etc. You name it. It would take me an hour a day to dig. I found some pretty interesting stuff. I also had more cash to buy goodies with. But I relied purely on ebay's search tool.

Now-a-days I rely on a few saved searches on ebay, and rarely I will look at someone's purchase history (only to marvel at the sheer number of things that have passed me by). I deliberately don't search intensely, because I'm trying to cut back. I pretty much "bottom feed" these days. If I see something cool I'll low-ball it. If I win, great. If not, great. Seems when I think I have it all, I find something that I A) don't have and B) is either very rare or unique. (Ok, I'm ranting, you get the idea.)

For the more obsessive who have custom search bots, perhaps they can add "social engineering" to their techniques, borrowing strategies from fellow collectors to augment their mighty arsenal of discovery tools :)

Anyway, these days, 2 searches, 5 minutes a day to pour over the lists. I'll add stuff to my watch list just to let it go by. I also rely on the generosity of others who toss URL's and drop names of people who have gems to sell. Other than that, zilch.