> Despite the amount of thought I put into it, I do not plan (nor do I
> advocate) doing this.  Bad idea.  Very wrong.  Don't do it.

I have to agree.  Pretending to sell something you don't actually have is
dishonest, regardless of whether you take any money for it in the end.  If
anyone got word of it, it could sow a lot of distrust in our community.
(Eyal Katz and that T-shirt asshole have done far too much damage already.)

> Now something that would be more on the level is an "ebay want list"
> where people list items they're interested in and how much they're
> willing to pay.

The problems with these are (1) eBay will can "wanted" auctions if they see
them, and (2) morons who don't read the listings will bid on it thinking
it's an actual item for sale, meaning final value fees and possible negative
feedback when they realize you don't have it.

> It just seems that the game collecting sites that have
> 'want lists' don't really seem that effective.

I assume YOIS's waiting list falls into this category?  The problem is that
most people who run collecting sites are themselves collectors, so if they
find something good, they're going to keep a personal copy before they start
offerring it to others who've asked for it.  And because of the nature of
rare items, spare copies are very few and far-between.  So you get lots of
entries but most of them never get filled.  Unfortunately, once you've
started up a list in your early days, if you just drop everyone who's
already signed up on it, you get those people upset at you because you sold
to someone else when they had asked first.  That's where I am right now.

On the other hand, I usually have somebody write me once every few weeks
with something they have that's on my own personal want-list (the great big
huge monstrosity that has its own page).  So people do seem to notice.