I tested this theory and I was correct, the 8bit mask doesn't work for
semi-transparencies (unless I'm doing it incorrectly). I followed your
example ralf and it worked great for images with 0% or 100% transparency,
but not for variable transparencies (ie. tinted glass). Is this a bug with
swfmill?

Regarding png size, I've been using imagemagick to resize my images and
apparently have been doing it wrong all along. I have been able to get some
file size improvements out of it, but I still feel I can do something here
on swfmill's end to compress it even further.

Thoughts?

-- Joel