>  Tested it at work, with a 24 bit PNG with semi-transparent areas, saved for
> web out of Photoshop:
>
>  - Original PNG: 858 KB
>  - SWF output size, with JPEG quality for publishing set to 0 (zero): 177 KB
>  - SWF output size, JPEG quality set to 100 (hundred): 627 KB
>
>  The low quality version showed heavy artifacts and was, well ... low quality.
>  I couldn't notice any differences in quality for the high quality version,
> despite the 200+ KB
>  difference in filesize.
>
>  Maybe this helps.

Thanks, that's not what I had expected, especially not artefacs since
it's supposed to be lossless.

I just had a look at the official specs at
<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf/> and lossless images are raw (with
two or three settings for bits per pixel) and just zlib compressed.
While zlib has a setting for compression level, this only affects how
long it takes to compress, it mustn't result in loss of information.

Do the artifacts your getting maybe look like jpeg compression?
Because that would mean that Flash converts it to jpg. That would
surprise me quite a bit, but it would be an explanation, and it would
be easy to check with Swfmill.

Mark