Hello swift-evolution,

ABI stability is an important feature which many Swift users are looking
forward to. If I understand it correctly, once it’s here, the Standard Library
becomes part of that ABI and only additive and backwards-compatible changes can
be done. Seeing how we are still heavily modifying the Standard Library this
year (Strings), wouldn’t it be wiser to let those changes simmer under the
scrutiny of the broader community of Swift users for a year before we make it
into the ABI?

ABI compatibility is important. Some projects need it, but I think that most
projects (most Apple platform third-party applications) would only mildly
benefit from it. But I want to make sure the Standard Library has had enough
time to mature before we set it in stone.

Regards,
David.