> [...]
>>> deal breaker, just a different style I’d like to see supported in the
>>> future.
>>

>>> I'm still not sure I understand. How can the machine know that it's dealing
>>> with an unknown case without first checking if it matches any known case?
>>

>> I had the same thought as Cheyo.  It isn’t a deal breaker… I like the
>> compromise, but I would prefer it trigger only on an actual unknown case (as
>> opposed to acting like default). I like to break failure cases out at the
>> top when possible. I don’t see any good reason not to support that style.
>>
>> To answer your question, in the naive sense, it basically is the same
>> question as asking if it is a known case (and then taking the inverse). That
>> doesn’t mean actually checking each case separately though. For example, if
>> the enum cases are internally represented as an unsigned integer, and they
>> are all together in a block, the compiler could simply check that it is
>> greater than the max known value. You could probably even do a bit mask
>> comparison in some cases...
>>
>> These are obvious optimizations, but why does this require new syntax?
>
> I am not sure I understand what you are asking. There isn’t additional
> syntax.  We are just arguing over the name + behavior of ‘unexpected:’.  You
> want it to behave like ‘default’ and I am saying that stops the use case I
> mention above.
>
> Cheyo said he wants “unexpected case” to work in pattern matching, as well as
> a new “case *” that is distinct from “case _”. This is additional syntax.
> When asked what the use case was for these suggestions, he said he wants to
> distinguish between known and unknown cases at the beginning of the switch.
>

>> What do you gain from writing the unknown case first?
>
> I know where to look for the failure cases.  I also tend put a bunch of guard
> statements near the beginning of a function.  It is just a programming style.
>
> With my behavior of ‘unexpected:’ you can put it wherever you want.  Why
> limit that by forcing it to go at the end?
>
> As pointed out earlier (by one of the core team members, I think), meaningful
> resilience would mean that the unexpected or unknown case should have useful
> work executed at runtime; the intention is that the user *shouldn’t* be
> treating it as a runtime “failure case,” as it effectively makes adding an
> enum case a change that is incompatible with existing binaries (i.e., not
> terribly resilient).
>
> As you and I seem to agree, reaching an unexpected case requires at least
> notionally considering which cases are expected in the first place. This is
> the dictionary definition of a default, and Swift usage is to put the default
> case at the end of a switch statement. Adding new syntax as Cheyo suggests to
> enable putting it elsewhere, merely for “style,” doesn’t seem to pass the bar
> for new syntax, nor is it consistent with existing Swift usage.

I agree with the new syntax suggestion is premature. I would hope that the
proposed runtime "Deriving collections of enum cases”
<https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/114/files> function also has a
compile time version which we can then use to match all the known cases at
compile time. I am happy with SE 0192 as it stands now.