I have to repeat my question: How this may help to fix the regression? Will it be possible to change to directory with trailing space after the fix?

--Semyon

On 02/22/2018 08:48 AM, Krishna Addepalli wrote:

Hi Semyon,

While browsing through the api for File, I found the “getCanonicalPath” function, which returns the OS specific path as per the documentation:

Returns the canonical pathname string of this abstract pathname.

A canonical pathname is both absolute and unique. The precise definition of canonical form is system-dependent. This method first converts this pathname to absolute form if necessary, as if by invoking the getAbsolutePath() <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/File.html#getAbsolutePath%28%29> method, and then maps it to its unique form in a system-dependent way. This typically involves removing redundant names such as "." and ".." from the pathname, resolving symbolic links (on UNIX platforms), and converting drive letters to a standard case (on Microsoft Windows platforms).

Every pathname that denotes an existing file or directory has a unique canonical form. Every pathname that denotes a nonexistent file or directory also has a unique canonical form. The canonical form of the pathname of a nonexistent file or directory may be different from the canonical form of the same pathname after the file or directory is created. Similarly, the canonical form of the pathname of an existing file or directory may be different from the canonical form of the same pathname after the file or directory is deleted.

Here is the link: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/File.html#getCanonicalPath() <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/File.html#getCanonicalPath%28%29>

On Windows, this is removing the extra spaces in the path, so seemed like a good function with minimal changes.

Thanks,

Krishna

*From:*Semyon Sadetsky
*Sent:* Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:56 PM
*To:* Krishna Addepalli <krishna.addepa...@oracle.com>; Philip Race <philip.r...@oracle.com>; swing-dev@openjdk.java.net *Subject:* Re: <Swing Dev> [11][JDK-8196673] JFileChooser throws InvalidPathException when changing to directory with added space

Hi Krishna,

I didn't get how your last version may fix the issue. Can you clarify?

My suggestion was to move Files.exists(...) to ShellFolderManager.createShellFolder() so in Widows the FNF will be caused by the native shell. Thus NIO can be avoided on Windows. I didn't test this but it should fix the bug scenario on a first glance.

--Semyon