On 3/7/18 10:12 AM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

On 07/03/2018 09:54, semyon.sadet...@oracle.com wrote:
On 3/7/18 8:53 AM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

Hi, Krishna.
The .02 version of the fix have changed the behavior of toDisplayString() method. Before the fix it throws NPE for key=null, after the fix it returns null.
That's ok.

That's not ok, since we change a behavior without discussion that the benefits of change outweigh the disadvantages, when we implemented some unrelated fix.
That's not true. You may find the discussion in the current thread. Fill free to provide your arguments to it.

It is an improvement. NPE is not expected result according to the toDisplayString() method spec.

It also changed result of toDisplayString(), previously it did not returned null. I think .01 is better and simpler.

Returning null is better than throwing NPE especially in the case when NPE doesn't correspond to the spec. Krishna kindly agreed to fix both issues at once. I didn't get what is the problem?