I don't know if I'd mess with key listeners.   The component already has all
the key listeners and cut&paste listeners a guy would need.  Why not filter the
foreign cahracters on the actual text the user is inserting, using something
like this....

class EnglishOnlyDocument extends Document {
     public void insertString(int offset, String str,AttributeSet a) throws
BadLocationException {
          //convert str to englishStr by looping on isNonEnglishChar
          super.insertString(offset,englishStr,a);
     }
};

myTextField.setDocument(new EnglishOnlyDocument());

"Pepelis, Aaron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09/27/2001 06:55:19 AM

Sent by:  "Pepelis, Aaron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>