This happens, because the popup is created as a lightweight component and
lightweight components cannot be drawn outside of their parent window's
client area.  When the list is long enough, the combo box code properly
realizes that and creates a heavyweight popup instead.  My guess is that
there is a bug in JComboBox's code responsible for deciding when to create
a heavy-weight popup.  A work around would be to force the component always
to use the heavyweight popup by setting the lightWeightPopupEnabled
property to false.

Check the Sun's bug database and if this issue is not already addressed
there, please file a bug report.

Cheers
Dmitry