At 09:50 AM 1/16/2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I searched for it before my last posts, but I was not able to find it.

There are several.  Looks like 4223393 is the main report, but if you
search the database for phrase "java applet window" you'll find more (some
are about tooltips being obstructed by the security banner).

>Thanks!  I would have never been able to find this.  JOptionPane
>doesn't even mention BasicOptionPaneUI.

All Swing components follow the Model-View-Controller pattern, with JXxxxx
classes usually implementing the Controller and XxxxxUI classes
implementing the View (these are the classes responsible for different Look
and Feel implementations:  Metal, Windows, Mac, Aqua, etc.).

>I'm not averse to this sort of workaround, but I don't understand what
>you mean by your reference to setBounds.  [..]
>I don't see how this could have a bearing on the problem.  If you
>could clarify what you meant, I'd appreciate it.

My bad.  What I meant to say was "extend JOptionPane and muddle with
setBounds on JDialog it creates".  What you can try is to override
JOptionPane.createDialog(...), get the dialog object by calling
super.createDialog(...), then adjust its bounds based on the number of
items in the combo box.  This is all purely speculative, but judging from
JOptionPane's source code, I think, it should work.

Cheers
Dmitry