> I've never used a satellite link before.... haha :D but why use skype
> with it's big overhead when you just need to exchange some plain text
> information...?

actually I use skype mostly for text chatting, and it works great :)

I know some small businesses where skype is the primary way of communication,
and
they even publish it on their contacts webpage instead of phone numbers :-)

Regarding the security -- you just don't have to use public channels for
secure information. Your brain is your best firewall :-)
so, I don't care much about an closed-source application which works for 99%
of my needs (although I do prefer open source software at the server side :-)