Stanislav Sinyagin schrieb:
>> From: Martin Ebnoether <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>

>> All that is needed to take Skype down is an automatic windows
>> update of some thousand computers.
>>
>> Remember last summer?
>> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20070819
>>

> hey Venty, long time no see :)
>
> if you remember, back in 2003-2004 there were viruses which knocked down
> hundreds
> of thousands of windows PCs. So what, we're still using that :)

Well, you maybe - I don't ;-)
But then, I also didn't use Windows in 2003, either...
Nowadays, the viruses don't knock down the Windows-boxes, they just use
them as Spam-Zombies or attack-drones or whatever the people that rent
them want to use them for.

> If the tool serves my needs, I don't really care if it's open source - I'm
> not
> going to compile anything on my desktop anyway. And if it collects any
> marketing
> stats, so what, everyone is doing that, and we're helping them (Coop Supercard
> for example).

I don't have any of those, either.

>  There's nothing bad about companies knowing better what I might
> buy from them :-)

I think you are oversimplifying and trivializing what these databases
can be used for.
Nowadays, these giant databases of consumer buying-behavior are probably
also used to find potential terrorists.
"Who bought box-cutters and what did they buy with them?"
"Who bought box-cutters only?"
"Who bought the other items alone that the people buying box-cutters and
other items bought?"

It's hilarious, but that's how some people actually believe the war
against terror can be won.

Also, I think you should do some reading regarding the Skype application.
I think that if it wasn't for its widespread use, most AV-programs would
consider it "malware".
The executable itself is packed and encrypted and actively tries to
avoid debugging/reverse-engineering by in-memory debuggers.
The communication itself is encrypted with an unknown encryption-method.
And of course, yes, no source code is available (for the general public).

I did sign up for an account and used it for a few times - but just
because I didn't have time to setup my own Jabber server and experiment
with iChat ;-)
I've got a _very_ bad feeling using this app - it's just scary.

Rainer