> However I believe with a press release, we can bring the discussion into
> public, and this is one goal of SwiNOG, right? Not every member must be
> necessarily 100% agree to the release. But regarding the topic, we have
> a consensus. I think it's important that the public is aware, that
> filtering is _not_ ISP's business.

I don't disagree but I've seen issues rise from elsewhere where overzealious
legal departements subsequently requested that members of a "group" (ie:
mailing list) must deregister from that group since their membership implied
that the management of the organisation they work for agree with whatever
opinion is voice by or on behalf of the group. That is way there are so many
legal disclaimers in sig files (unfortunally). So I personally agree with
the consensus of the group on this issue, on the other hand my employer_s_
most likely don't. The usual technical vs legal battle we have talked about
for years.

I would try and voice (for this issue) that technically the requirements are
beyond what can be done within the limits of the actual technology on a
_wide_ scale. You can prevent a specific customer from reaching the site but
you can't enforce this policy on everyone.. and we know that we are in the
business of carrying other people's data which is 100% different that your
own company's data. I guess it's as if we asked carriers to blacklist zone
prefixes (ie: 01, 022, 021)... it's the same scale. All that to prevent
customers from "calling" one individual number.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog%40swinog.ch/