I'd love to see FIG standardise a cache interface and for Symfony to have an
exemplary implementation of it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it needs to
be a Symfony component if something better already exists.

Personally though I don't think Doctrine Cache is that something. At least not
yet. It doesn't quite feel "Symfonic" (weird, since it's already part of
Doctrine ORM), and since its current interface has no methods in common with
the PSR proposal, it seems it would be more work to change it (and everything
that uses it) than to accept one of the PRs mentioned below and document it. I
could be dead wrong though; DC's support for patterns & wildcards is really
neat, for example, and it's a stable and well-tested library as far as I can
tell.

On balance, I think I'd rather see a new Symfony Cache component.