On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM, krastanov.ste...@gmail.com
<krastanov.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What would the classical module contain? Won't "newtonian", "galilean"  or
> just "mechanics" be more suitable in this case?

physics.classical will contain what Gilbert is working on for his GSoC
project.  His project is focused is on rigid body mechanics,
especially multi-body systems.  It provides tools for performing
convenient 3d vector kinematics, as well as algorithms for deriving
equations of motion "automatically".  I guess "classical mechanics" or
"newtonian mechanics" would more precisely describe what his project
is about, and we decided that it would make sense to put this sort of
thing into sympy.physics.classical

> For example Hamiltonian mechanics applies to boot classical and quantum
> physics. Also optics/thermodynamics/stat. phys./etc don't play well with
> such separation.

Perhaps it would make more sense to put his project into
sympy.physics.classicalmechanics, or even just
sympy.physics.mechanics?

> Anyway, this can be changed later.
>
> If you prepare the skeleton files I would be happy to go over the code and
> document the parts that I use.

Cool, thanks!  I'll mail the list when I get this up and running on a
github branch.

~Luke

> Stefan

>> > You could have either a 'physics' submodule and a 'classical'
>> > subsubmodule, or a 'classical physics' and a 'quantum physics'
>> > submodule. I don't really care either way, and this should be easy to
>> > change later. The first one corresponds more to the (intended)
>> > structure of the physics-related code.
>>
>> I think having a physics submodule with 'classical' and 'quantum'
>> subsubmodules make sense.  I'll leave the other physics subsubmodules
>> (units, matrices, hydrogen, etc.) where they are for now and if it
>> makes sense to rearrange things, we can do that down the road.

>> > No, it should be there, it is just that noone yet made sure it's
>> > generated correctly when building the docs.
>> >

>> I'll get started on this.
>>
>> ~Luke
>>
>> --

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759