Gamma uses its own plotting code based on d3.js, which is all rendered
client-side and does not support all types of plots (particularly 3D
plots). Matplotlib would allow us to support that in Gamma. We wouldn't
necessarily be writing code using matplotlib, but instead trying to get
matplotlib working with SymPy on App Engine and then rendering and sending
a graph to the browser. For that matter, console access isn't exactly
available on App Engine, so the user wouldn't be able to interact with the
plot without additional code...

David