@Jo Well I am still unconvinced of your opinion that such the strategy that
I intend to adopt will fail in the long run. I'll give you my reasons for
it. Firstly, we are just talking about Math Spec Languages not generalized
programming languages with complex rules. I have noticed that the rules of
different Math Spec Languages tend to be quite similar differing only in
the syntactic sugar. After all, the functions are quite similar.

> ... though, we have been discussing parser aspects.
> You plan to use a hand-written one; my advice is to stay away from that
> route because maintaining a hand-written parser with an
> occasionally-changing syntax means that all the clever shortcuts you
> took will some day stop working.
> Factoring out is one such clever shortcut, applied systematically.
>
> I'm not saying that you will fail.
> I'm just saying that you're running a considerable risk of failure here.
> I'm also saying that the more languages SymPy supports using
> hand-written parsers, the higher the maintenance overhead will become.

Secondly, I am not planning to use a hand written one. Right now sympy uses
hand written parsers which has made the development process of new parsers
a mess because of lack of structure and lack of standardization. All I want
to achieve is a standard by which we will always be able to define new
parsers should the need arise.

Also, I intend to pursue development of NLP parser for sympy(quite
rudimentary) so as to achieve a basic capability to match that of
WolphramAlpha's. I suggest you read the thread (the part where certik
points to the same topic) and give your 2 cents about my approach.

Thanks,
Aditya

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/0e80694b-4dda-40e9-acd9-8ed965cdbf4b%40googlegroups.com.