@Jo, My philosophy is as much automation as possible. Now just for the sake
of argument consider this. We have 2 Math Spec languages A and B. Since
both are means to the same end, they differ only in subtle places. While
that might not be the case always, let us assume that it is so. By using
python code as the spec file, we are forcing the user to unnecessarily
iterate over the rules that are same for both the languages. So this is
what I propose, we keep a spec sheet in between which captures only the
differing rules. The rest of them will be assumed to be the same being
specified once and open to inspection. That way we can build on existing
rules and not waste programming effort as well as time on reinventing the
wheel as you put it. This resembles the functional overriding concept from
OOP. I hope this addresses your concerns.

Regards,
Aditya

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/2b31ca01-a218-44a6-b9d7-eed3726ec92e%40googlegroups.com.