@Jo thanks for chiming in. I understand your sentiment but from your reply,
I gather that you have properly understood my proposal. Firstly, adding
EBNF adds 1 extra layer which can anyways be overridden by an experienced
programmer such has yourself. Secondly, I propose to keep the extra layer
to maintain the API in case we grow discontent with modgrammar. In my
scheme of things, you write the grammar in EBNF form, then the Spec to
Grammar converter generates a Python file (which BTW anyone can write
themselves if they know the format that nodgrammar takes the input in)
which serves as an input to modgrammar. Should we decide to replace
modgrammar with say Spark, we can change to code of Spec to Grammar
converter file to generate the corresponding input to Spark. Here, adding
one extra layer offers a big advantage. Even if the underlying framework is
changed, that detail has been abstracted and so user needn't worry about
that. And yes, if the user knows the format of the Python file which serves
as an input to either of the framework, he/she can bypass the first stage
and directly write the input file (generally in Python). Adding an extra
layer doesn't hamper the productivity in any case, rather it enhances the
same in the case that user doesn't know or doesn't want to bother with the
details of how input file to the PGF is generated.

I hope these arguments satiate your questions.

Regards,
Aditya Shah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/bef15799-db98-417e-9225-06ea2c2096fc%40googlegroups.com.