On 14 June 2016 at 20:30,  <janoscharl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had the same idea earlier, but i dropped it because my intuition was, that
> three quadratic equations are worse than three linear and one quadratic
> equation :-)
>
> Since you brought this approach up again, i tried it now, but sympy does not
> seem to find a solution.
>
> You can check out my code here: http://pastebin.com/famnqkLC
>
> You wrote you expected sympy to find a solution for numeric coefficients,
> but i need a symbolic solution because i want to proceed further (by
> differentiating with respect so some of the parameters for optimization),
> and don't want a sympy.solve step in each optimization step.

You should perhaps explain more clearly what you do want then. You
want <X> in terms of <Y> but what are X and Y?

> Any idea why my original approach "explodes" in regards of the resulting
> expressions?

Given your three linear equations you can solve them to get x, y, and
cosphi all in terms of sinphi. Then you have that cosphi is:

(-(Cux*Cvy - Cuy*Cvx)*(Awx*Cvz*sinphi - Awy*Cuz*sinphi + Cwz) +
(Cux*Cvz - Cuz*Cvx)*(Avx*Cvy*sinphi - Avy*Cuy*sinphi + Cwy) - (Cuy*Cvz
- Cuz*Cvy)*(Aux*Cvx*sinphi - Auy*Cux*sinphi + Cwx))/(Cux*Cvy*(Awx*Cuz
+ Awy*Cvz) - Cux*Cvz*(Avx*Cuy + Avy*Cvy) - Cuy*Cvx*(Awx*Cuz + Awy*Cvz)
+ Cuy*Cvz*(Aux*Cux + Auy*Cvx) + Cuz*Cvx*(Avx*Cuy + Avy*Cvy) -
Cuz*Cvy*(Aux*Cux + Auy*Cvx))

Which you can substitute for cosphi in cosphi**2+sinphi**2-1 to get a
quadratic in only sinphi.

The explosion comes from expanding the cosphi expression (and then
squaring!). You have 12 different symbols (excluding sinphi) and all
the cross-multiplications gives a combinatoric explosion of terms that
aren't easy to factor.

I guess what you want to do is rearrange the cosphi expression into
the form a*sinphi + b but without expanding a and b.

--
Oscar

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxSd%3DQG1n2QAfb_fmSFF995LVh1hxPkWFNLSQ%3DZdm%2BjHBA%40mail.gmail.com.