Oscar,

Also a specific answer to:

> Suppose that I want to think about a simple 2D problem with a disc
rolling down a surface inclined at angle beta with (Coulomb) friction
coefficient mu. I want to know when/whether the disc will stick or
slip and get the equations of motion for each case. How would I go
about doing that using the mechanics module?

This is way too simple of a problem to really use the mechanics module for.
If I were teaching this I would just use the base sympy features to do the
math. The mechanics module is not really geared towards things you find in
introductory mechanics in physics and dynamics courses. It is geared toward
dynamics of multibodies, 2D and 3D. Most schools teach this at the graduate
level or some advanced upper level courses in engineering and physics.

I have another package called "resonance" that is aligned more for 2D
dynamics and simulation. I do teach the students to derive equations of
motion symbolically with sympy and use the resonance interface to do the
simulation and analysis. This is here:
https://github.com/moorepants/resonance/

Jason
moorepants.info