Hi,

IMHO, the control systems should go as a separate repository under sympy
with the main sympy repository as a dependency.

In fact that should have happened with sympy.stats as well, as no other
module uses features of stats and the case is other way around but that is
a thing for another day. Well, I just thought of a way which could have
been used to organize modules. If we make a directed graph with modules as
nodes and an edge, m->n, would reflect that module n depends on module m.
Then only those modules should be kept under sympy/sympy which have both
in-degree and out-degree greater than 0. Those which have out-degree of 0
can be carved out as separate packages under sympy organization. However,
as of now, doing this would create unnecessary pain for end users.

So, control systems, AFAICT will not be used by any other module under main
sympy repo, so can be kept as a separate package.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 9:13 PM Naman Nimmo <namanger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Since the accepted GSoC projects are out now, and my project - "Control
> Theory - Implement a control systems package" was in that list, I would
> like to first know whether it will be a part of the main sympy project or
> some other project to go on PyPI?
>
> I personally feel It *should* belong to SymPy because it *is* symbolic in
> nature.
> I agree with what Aaron mentioned in the last thread:
>
> > An advantage of something being in SymPy itself is that it
> > automatically gets full development support from the rest of the
> > package, for instance, the tests for it are always run on Travis, it
> > is included in any package-wide refactorings, and so on. I would say
> > at the very least if there were to be a GSoC project that creates a
> > new package, then that package should go on under sympy org on GitHub
> > (github.com/sympy/new-package), so that the whole SymPy development
> > team has access to it
>
> What are your opinions? We can do what the whole community decides after
> considering all the advantages and the disadvantages of both options.
>
> Regards,
> Naman

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CALkUZDm4UGQz4P4Mg0XckpE2o7%2Bo8Ob26y7%2BxEWW31mNjOgYHA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CALkUZDm4UGQz4P4Mg0XckpE2o7%2Bo8Ob26y7%2BxEWW31mNjOgYHA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>