I think David is using Windows so that apt-get command which is for
Debian Linux can not be used.

David I thought that the standard Python installers for Windows would
mean that you had tkinter installed. I don't think you can install it
with pip because it's basically part of Python (so not really a
"separate" package). There are many different ways of installing
Python though so it might depend on exactly which installer you used.

I would generally use the installer files from here:
https://www.python.org/downloads/

Oscar