HI Yu!

I have never used the Opacity preference before - it's always 1.0 when I
use Synfig Studio. I can't imagine I would ever set it to any other value
than 1.0 and I wouldn't mind if this preference was not exposed on the UI.

Unifying terms is a hard question. Amount is only opacity when it's set
between 0 and 1.0 ; it can be set to values less than 0 and more than 1 and
when used with certain layers make a difference other than opacity (for
instance brightness). I have sometimes used values of Amount more than 1 in
order to get certain effects.

Obviously Carlos and Konstantin will know far more about this than me, but
I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dave