Hi Darren and list,

First of all I would like to excuse me for sending part of our private mails
to the mailing list. I shouldn't have done it, sorry. I've deliberately
started a new mail this time.

Surprise: I'm now mostly convinced about BEEP and its use in application
protocols.

I've reread some of the RFCs and also read a couple of drafts. BEEP over
SCTP is the future, BEEP over TCP is just a nuisance while SCTP is being
implemented (SCTP supports multiple streams per connection)

This means that I'll do my best to implement RFC3195 in our syslog
implementation (syslog-ng).

I have a single question left however (to address the legacy problems), is
the working group interested in an update of rfc3164 or syslog/sign with the
possibility of TCP transport, and the RFC3339 timestamp?

My reasoning is:
* solve possible TCP interop problems with current implementations
* to provide a way to send reliable messages for small edge devices which
  probably will never implement SCTP nor BEEP (DSL routers for instance)

This means that implementors would have three options:
* do nothing, log messages are sent via UDP
* do the trivial update to TCP
* do the full blown syslog/reliable implementation

The second option is still much easier to achieve for most vendors, and we
would still have some reliability. Current syslog-over-TCP implementations
will have something to conform to while RFC3195 implementation is done.

What do you think?

--
Bazsi