Rainer Gerhards writes:
 > > Issue 8:  Length of syslog messages

I Agree with Rainer, about the parts of "multi hop". Keep is simple. !

 > [... 1024 ..]  has prooven to work even  over udp
Very true!

 > I would, however, like to extend the core syslog format to support
 > [...]  needs to send a larger message

Syslog does "support" this already. All the programmers has to to is call
syslog(...) several times (or any other function that is part of the API.

Even for a limit of 1024, this means that line becomes 10 or more line
on your editor! If You need that frequently, probably a support
function, or macro is used. That that macro can be used to send that
"long" line in several messages, each on contain a kind of fragment
counter.

But that is about programming/API's, back to the protocol.

When "long lines" are needed, probably the output of the log isn't
meant for human reading, but for "a script" or tool. Then, this is
site or application specific. And so, NO general standard is needed.

At least, I can't think of any reason. But maybe a counter example can
be given... (which used "long lines" AND needs a "generic solution.)

--ALbert Mietus
        Send prive mail to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Send business mail to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Don't send spam mail!