Anton Okmianski writes:
 >  - better presentation of multi-line messages

 > Also sending only \n means that I have to search contents of every
 > message that is provided to my syslog logger library in order to
 > replace platform-dependent line breaks with \n.  Seems very
 > UNIX-biased.

I'm leather can't agree.

First in minor issue: '\n' is Unix. All
/Most IP protcol use it to terminate a line. And it is important to so
in a generic way. Suppose each systems uses it "own" convention. When
you have several systems, Unix, Win/PC and e.g. routers (and possoble
Mac) it becomes very hard (or impossible) to collect all lines on 1
system; and browse the log. Depending on the system which send the
line another tool should be needed.

If it should be, stick to the DOS/Windos convention. I don't mint.
However only \n (no \r) is shorter. And it is commen in the C language
anyhow.

More important:

The RFC should not forbid sending several lines over multiple
messages. However, it is "smart" At first sight, reading becomes
easier. But remember: syslog  isn't about "reading", it's about
loggging! Each "event" wil happen in 1 action, so it should be 1
message. Then, and only then, reading the (collected msg'es) is
simple! Otherwise, a multi-line can be partially recieved, or the
singe lines can be mixed with other lines Or even become out of order.

Multi-line messages, are only needed (as shown before) when "the
system" logs very-log-messages. And tranporting them in once isn't
possible.  It should not be used (I think) to easify (or try to ...)
the collected log.

But if there are other opinions, I'm willing to ...

--
ALbert Mietus
        Send prive mail to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]