I'd like to insert my 2 cents if I may.

I agree that multi-part messages are good to have in the protocol.
For two reasons:

 - messages greater than 1024 octets
 - better presentation of multi-line messages

The lines breaks fall into the latter category.  I think one would
achieve better presentation with legacy servers if messages are split
into multiple parts on line breaks.  This way every line in a log file
would have a standard header.

I think allowing line breaks brings up the whole can of worms as to
how things are stored, which syslog specifications currently shy away
from.

Also sending only \n means that I have to search contents of every
message that is provided to my syslog logger library in order to
replace platform-dependent line breaks with \n.  Seems very
UNIX-biased.

Finally, if messages are stored with extra line breaks in log files,
how does any parser  distinguish a new message from a continuation of
a previous one?  The line break is currently taken to mean just one
thing in the logs - end of message.  Multi-part messages would extend
this to mean an end of message part.  If we add another meaning, we
have to say how parsers should tell them apart.

There is one issue with not supporting line breaks though (other than
the overhead of multi-part messages).  If multi-part messages are used
for both scenarios I outlined above, then how do we distinguish one
from another.  Suppose I want to reconstruct the actual message text
of a multi-part message on the receiving end in order to send it
somewhere as one piece using a different protocol.  If multi-part
message was a result of splitting a 1500k message, then I should just
combine the multiple parts.  However, if multiple parts where there
for better presentations (because original message contained line
breaks), then I need to combine the parts with line breaks.   Is it a
big deal?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Anton.