Hi,

I believe that we originally put in the "backwards compatibility" wording
in syslog-sign so that the mechanism could be used by classic syslog (3164
style) and also in what we were defining as the protocol in that ID (now
syslog-protocol).  I also think that those thoughts just got migrated into
syslog-protocol because they were in syslog-sign.  I still like the idea
of allowing that in syslog-sign so perhaps syslog-sign should be modified
to say "you really should be using syslog-protocol so do it _this_ way.
However, if you want this type of authentication applied to what you
currently send as syslog messages, then do it _that_ way."

In syslog-protocol, perhaps it would be better to just say "MUST" about
the new fields.  Rainer makes a good point that we would really like to
build syslog-protocol on the vast amount of momentum currently being held
by classic syslog. To do that in the least disruptive way, I think we
should still use udp/514 and still remain somewhat similar to the classic
fields in use.  Would it be suitable to state that intention that in the
Abstract or Introduction in syslog-protocol?  Perhaps it would also be
good to restate "be conservitive in what you send, and liberal in what you
receive" to note that syslog servers should be capable of receiving both
syslog-protocol messages as well as classic style messages.

Thanks,
Chris