Rainer,

We do need some way to positively identify the -protocol messages as
being different to the old format messages.

Either of the ways you have suggested would work.

Anyone favour one method more than the other?

Regards

Andrew

Rainer wrote...

I think there is indeed a *big* issue. I may be totally missing the
obvious, but how can a syslogd - IN A STANDARD WAY - differntiate
between legacy syslog and -protocol? Its an honest question.

Hoewever, the only answers I have seen to similar issues so far is "look
at the headers and guess" - I think this is not good. Maybe we should
REQUIRE a specifc structured data element to be present, to say "hey,
this is new format" - this could solve it. Is that an idea?

A sample for a REQUIRED structured data element:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] version="1"]

Everything that does not have this structued data element, MUST be
considered "old style", everthing that has it MUST be fully compliant
with -protocol. A syslogd just implementing -protocol is free to drop
all packets that do not have this element.

How does this sound?

Another approach may be to change the message format, eg. instead of

-protcol may start with

[VERSION, FACILITY, SEVERITY]....

deliberately breaking compatibility.

Comments are highly appreciated.