Hi Miao,

thanks for the update. I have gone through the draft again and found
some, mostly minor, issue. I have listed them below:

-------------------------------------
3.0
==
  The security service is also applicable to BSD Syslog defined in
   RFC3164 [7].  But, it is not ensured that the protocol specification
   defined in this document is applicable to BSD Syslog.
==

Do we really intend to support RFC 3164-style syslog (read: nothing
known about the message format) over this transport? If so, the
consequence is that implementations of -transport-tls must check for
3164 format and eventually be able to handle it.

I suggest removing these two sentence, as it looks we encourage that
case. If they stay, we should clearly state that a receiver is NOT
REQUIRED to implement this.

-------------------------------------
Section 4.3, inside the ABNF:

>    SP = " "

I think this is problematic in respect to 2.4 of RFC 4234. I suggest
replacing by

SP = %d32

-------------------------------------
5.1

==
   When confidentiality is a concern, a sender/relay MUST authenticate
   the receiver to make sure it is talking to the right peer.
==

I do not find the MUST is appropriate here: "when confidentiality is a
concern" is not a hard fact. What does it mean? When MUST I implement
authentication. Is my Implementation not compliant to this doc if I have
the wrong understanding of "when confidentiality is a concern". Or MUST
I always implement it, because confidentiality is probably very often a
concern?

I think this is a operator-issue not to be dealt with in the protocol. I
suggest dropping this sentence or at last spell MUST in lower case.

-------------------------------------
5.2
Isn't that a security consideration (and belongs to that secition)?

-------------------------------------
6.2
IANA registry names must be suggested (of course this comment is
irrelevant if we drop VERSION).

-------------------------------------
Consistent Spelling
Both version and VERSION is used for the respectively-named field. I
suggest to resort to a single spelling. This also removes some
ambiguities if the version field or the concept of a version is meant in
some parts of the text. I suggest using VERSION consistently for the
respective field.

-------------------------------------
"Security Considerations" is missing
I wonder I didn't spot this earlier. IMHO any document must have a
"Security Considerations" section. Of course, the whole document talks
about security, but does that obsolete the section showing the
weaknesses of the protocol?

For example, I have at least three candiates to be included:

- Problems in relay scenario
A relay may receive data via traditional syslog and forward it via a
tls-encrypted channel to its next destination. In this case, the channel
to the next hop is secured, but the trust level of the message is
considerably lower.

- there is no rule that a sender must use the same host name inside the
-protocol HOSTNAME field as it uses in the certificate's common name. I
think that has some security implications.

- cipher suites and such are left to the operator. We should indicate
the (serious) consequences of this selection

One note on the cipher suites:
I know there has been some discussion previously, but I wasn't able to
find the post in question in the archive. Probably you can help me out.

Question: how do we guarantee a minimum interoperability of
implementations of this document if we do not specify any cipher suite?

Rainer