Hi All,

What I'm seeing is that our effort to add granularity for mib accounting has made the document less clear. My apologies for that.

Does the following make more sense:

  +---------------------+    +---------------------+
  |  content            |    |  content            |
  |---------------------|    |---------------------|
  |---------------------|    |---------------------|
  |  syslog transport   |    |  syslog transport   | (transport sender,
  |                     |    |                     | (transport receiver)
  +---------------------+    +---------------------+
            ^                          ^
            |                          |
             --------------------------

In this, the "content" will be developed by some application and handed to syslogd (using *nix as an example device). syslogd will format the message adding in the PRI, timestamp, etc., and will hand it to the transport.
- For udp transport, the "transport sender" will encapsulte it within udp
  and put it onto the wire.
- For the case of tls, the "transport sender" will establish a new, or use
  an existing session with the "transport receiver".

For discrepancies (if any) between the IP address of the "originator" and the "transport sender", the originator can use the [origin ip=...] SDE (Section 7.2).

If this makes sense, then the mib counters can be:
- the number of messages sent and received by the "syslog application"
  (syslogd)
- the number of messages sent and received by the "transport sender" and
  "transport receiver".
The tricky part here is that the counters of the "transport sender" and "transport receiver" are not going to be useful to counting messages that are relayed. Only the counters of the "syslog application" are going to be useful for that. To deal with that, I'll propose that that a table be set up to associate the messages sent to each relay destination.

As an example from syslog.conf:

               kern.crit                    @loghost
               kern.info                    @loghost2.example.com

The relay destinations will have to be enumerated.
   get "numOfRelayDests" would return "2"
   get "relayDest(1)" would return "loghost"
   get "relayDest(2)" would return "loghost2.example.com"

What is to be sent to those destinations would have to be quantified.
   get "priOfRelayDest(1)" would return "2" (from kern.crit as the filter)
   get "priOfRelayDest(2)" would return "6" (or "kern.info")

When the device receives a "<2>..." syslog message (PRI=2, kern.crit), it will relay it to the two relay destinations.
Then
   syslogOperationsMsgsReceived will be incremented by 1
   syslogOperationsMsgsRelayed(0) will be incremented by 2
      (the message went to two destinations)
   syslogOperationsMsgsRelayed(1) will be incremented by 1
      (it sent one copy to "relayDest(1)" which is loghost)
   syslogOperationsMsgsRelayed(2) will be incremented by 1
      (it sent another to ""relayDest(2)")
   syslogOperationsMsgsTransmitted will be incremented by 2
      (it transmitted both)

Also, on loghost, syslogOperationsMsgsReceived will be incremented by 1 and on loghost2.example.com syslogOperationsMsgsReceived will also be incremented by 1.

This gives an administrator a way to balance out messages sent and received.
- If our device shows 3 messages relayed to loghost, and loghost shows 3
  messages received, then we have a balance, even if MsgsTransmitted from
  our device is 482.
- If our device shows 3 messages relayed but loghost shows 2 messages
  received, then we might have a discard on our device, or the message may
  have been dropped by some intermediary.
- If our device shows 3 messages relayed but loghost shows 46 receieved
  then we likely have another device sending messages to loghost.

To be clear on this, the counters for "transport sender" and "transport receiver" will NOT be associated with a peer - they will just count the number of messages sent and received. It will be up to the counters associated with the "syslog application" to associate the messages with peers so that the count of messages relayed will have some meaning.

Does this make sense? As David said, we're not doing our job unless we're clear on the concepts, terminology and have a way to manage the devices.

Thanks,
Chris