Chris,
I think that there are two separate issues that we are talking of here;

   - the layered model for syslog
   - the objects which we monitor

I will send my comments on the layered model in a separate mail.

As far as the Objects [MIB counters]  are concerned I am reading 2
points
(1) monitoring the relay activity.  We want to have
     - a list of the relays
     - for every relay
         o the priority(ies) of the message that will be relayed to
           this relay
         o the number of messages transmitted to this relay
           (messagesTransmittedToRelay)
     - etc.

(2) we do not need to monitor message received at the message-source
    level of granularity.

The points are well taken. I could certainly use the features
built using (1). Regarding (2)- monitoring messages at the
message-source level of granularity is not difficult to implement.
But there may be practical problems as there may be there may be a
very large number of message sources - tracking the counters for
each of the sources will be expensive etc. So I will agree with (2).
I will add the new table definitions for (1) in the next version of
the draft.

Glenn