Tom,
   I do understand the line of reasoning. But I do not agree with the
conclusion. I agree that if we follow the ABNF we can have layers.
[It does not limit us to three layers]. But a reality check says that
we can have at most 2 significant layers. Significant from the point
of view of operations and management. Facilities will just generate
SYSLOG-MSG.
   Given that we have three layers it will be useful to have a reality
check by mapping these layers to entities that we have defined or know
about. I am afraid we keep going round in loops  because of the lack of
precise definitions. Without these definitions it is very difficult
to tell who is going wrong where. The terms and entities we know
understand in this context are "Facility" , "Transport". Who generates
the MSG? Is that a new entity that we are defining? What real world
entity does it map to ? Why are we interested in its operations ?
The answer to the last question will determine the significance of the
entity and the corresponding "layer".
   I am sorry if the above sounds like a digression, but I have a real
problem in mapping onto reality without answers to the above.
> I think that the existing, already agreeed text in protocol-21 does give us a
> three way split in the stack.   Looking at the ABNF, there is MSG which is
> prepended by additional fields to form SYSLOG-MSG which will in turn be
> prepended before the PDU is placed on the wire.  So I can see a top layer
> generating and interpreting MSG, a middle layer turning that into SYSLOG-MSG
> and
> a lower layer providing the UDP/TLS/etc headers/trailers.
>
> In turn, this can drive statistics and error counters, so that a single MSG
> which is sent with two different facility codes each over three transports
> would
> count  as 1 in the upper layer, 2 in the middle and 6 in the lower.  Or an
> invalid facility would increment an error counter in the middle layer.
>
> I am not saying this is the only split or the best split and I am certainly
> not
> saying any implementation has to make any of this layering apparent in its
> code
> structure; but I do think that a three-way split is sensible.
I will not argue. But, I will repeat, who sends the MSG, to whom ?
Facilty to X ? X to Facility ? Facility to Facility ? If it one of the
first two cases then, what is "X" ?

> But, as I have said before, I also see an inconsistency in the definitions
> added
> to protocol-21, one that I would like to see resolved..
I fully agree.

> Tom Petch

Glenn

>>> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]