On 08/07/2014 07:44 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 06:11:39PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
On 08/07/2014 04:12 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
Perhaps understanding why you're allergic to the journal would help in
figuring out solutions to the actual underlying problem.
There is nothing wrong with the journald per se, but it's not a replacement for
the classic syslog
Yes it is.
Hmm, reading my message above, I can see that it wasn't clear enough -- sorry.
Perhaps an example can clarify things.

Take dnsmasq which under normal operation logs _lots_ of DHCP-related messages,
even on a tiny network of ~20 (crappy Android) devices. These messages fall
into 2 categories: routine (log_level info -- DHCPREQUEST, DHCPACK, etc.) and
security-related (log_level warn -- DNS rebind attacks e.g.). I want the former
to be volatile (stored in /run/log), while the latter on-disk (in /var/log).

While there are many ways to accomplish this with rsyslog/syslog-ng filters,

Give me an actual working example how this is solved using rsyslog/syslog-ng filters

JBG