On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 09:32:57AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
>  It would be really better to have within systemd a generic function
>  is_net_blkdev() than rely on external fragile configuration. I have
>  doubts that anyone uses -o _netdev on command line when manually
>  mounts filesystem.

The one thing I do like about _netdev, is that if it works is a simple
workaround that can be documented for when more complicated detection
schemes fail.  Rather than trying to keep a list of all known network
filesystem and block protocols up to date.

>  Not sure, maybe it's possible to detect this by scsi info in /sys.

I took a look at what lsscsi is doing to guess at transport type.  iSCSI
is kind of ugly, FCoE is really ugly, and for both of those there exists
a variety of drivers with varying levels of dependence on the networking
layer.  It would be nice to work on getting some of the more common
works working automatically, but _netdev seems like a nice failsafe.

I'm sending an RFC patchset with a start at addressing this.

- Chris