Am 16.12.2015 um 17:11 schrieb Simon Peeters:
Why not do like normal people

"normal people" - what's wrong with you?

Nothing really, all systems both at my direct employer and those at
our customers run perfectly fine, and everything is automated, so in
our relatively small team we have more than enough time left to de
some R&D on future and upcoming tech.

so we do - 35 servers running Fedora and keep up-to-date from F9 to F23 while i do the development of the software running on top at the same time and one additional team member helps out

and use configmanagement to put the
right apache config on the right host?

because i know how to configure servers and don't need handholding tools
since i develop my own admin backends for many years and services helping on
repeatly needed taks but don't chain me to a limited subset of the supported
options

If you want to use your home grown configmanagement tool, then learn
it to decently manage your apache config.

it does exactly what it is supposed to do and all is runnign perfectly fine as long not somebody breaks working things things by remove feautes for no good reason

This whole "-D testserver" and "<IfDefine testserver>"  looks like an
ugly workaround for a lacking configmanagment system.

config managements for webservers are ugly workaround for lacking knowledge
and only fine for 08/15 setups but a no-go where you need flexibility

I think a lot of people disagree with you on that, including most of
the devops world.

most of that people are using LTS distributions where you don't have major jumps - it's enough to care about major upgrades itself and i don't need the burden "does config mgmt xyz support version a of serversoftware b"

for my own development not rely on any 3rd party libraries i can guarantee that there are no compatibility breaks and since that works now over nearly 15 years inclduing a complete jump from Apple to Fedora i am proven right

no, i don't say you or anybody else should do it the same way, do what you want, in the area where i am responsible i do the things which are proven to work with as less complexity and dependencies as possible

go away with that crap - only over my dead body besides Perl, PHP and Python
now Ruby and it's dependencies would make it to any server here

Then use something else, like ansible, which is python, or cfengine,
or juju, or any other one in this list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_configuration_management_software

introducing another layer of complexity on a environment which works relieable and rock stable over many years and everybody who needs to touch it understands how and why things are working as they are supposed to do would be stupid

KISS - keep it simple stupid

My point being if you want to manage your apache config, manage your
apache config, intead of doing wierd workarounds with environment
variables and changing the ExecStart of your service.

In your case this is even flawed:
If the /etc/sysconfig/httpd file changes, then a systemctl reload
httpd wouldn't propagate the changes, while if you instead managed the
config directly it would

well, you are talking about a no-problem since that file changed 3 times in 8 years where a hard restart of httpd is a no-brainer just because it's more often needed after PHP, zlib, pcre and what not updates