Given that the Kenyan athletes could not hand and that Geb ran 12:56 aboiut 10 years ago for a world record... I really believe its just an issue of the Ethiopians stepping it up and never meing content. I just don't think they understand the word "limits" so are able to push them constantly. In a flat out 5k, Geb runs 10-15 seconds faster. No more. Now, which Amiercan would dare run a 10k race where they "plan" to run the second half at 10 seconds slower than their 5k pr? It would also help to have guys like Goucher, who have good speed, move up to the 10k. One distinct advantage these guys have over us is that the 5k and 10k are permier events in their country whereas the mile is the marque event here. So, they often have guys with 3:50 speed running the 10k whereas guys with 3:55 speed here are trying to be milers. That's why Culpepper's international record is surprising to me. He (at leat at one time) had 3:55 speed. I would think he could hang in a 27:10-20 race.

Perhaps our 10k guys (and 5k guys) go about training too much like they would for a marathon and don't focus enough on speed. Geb constantly talks about improving his speed. How many of our 10k guys can run 24.5 flat out let alone at the end of a 10k?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: 12:57 last 5000
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:23:21 -0700

>OK, enough with drummond. Did you notice that the Ethiopians run the last 5000 of the 10,000 in 12:57?

Yes!, and that alone would be a 5000 national record for what,
98% of the countries in the world?

The disparity in performances among elite distance runners these
days is more and more profound.
One would think that maybe the rest of the world has given up and
stopped chasing (and trying to improve), other than a few scattered
individuals, or that the Ethiopian and Kenyan athletes "have something" that
everybody else is unlikely to ever have. Whatever that may be.

RT

Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963