Well, it's old news that Kenyans, mainly Kalenjin's, dominate distance
running today. Their evolution has made them superb distance runners. They
have lived at altitude for millions of years. They have lived a harder
existance than say the American silver platter life. I would like to make
one point though about Boston: 2000 winner Elija Lagat, 2:09:47....1979
winner Bill Rodgers, 2:09:27....1981 winner Toshihiko Seko, 2:09:26....1986
winner Robert de Castella, 2:07:51....1990 winner Gerlindo Bordin, 2:08:19.
Kenyans win this race, but so do Americans, Japanese, Australians, and
Italians. They also win it in about the same time. Kenyans have seemed to
dominate this race as of late, but not to the point where non-Kenyans can no
longer win. They aren't winning this race any faster than it was won 20
years ago. Genetics and their way of life give the Kalenjin's a better
starting point, but the finish line is the same for every runner. If the
Japanese marathoners ran Boston then I'd think they would give the
Kalenjin's a run for their money. In a few years I can see a handful of US
runners under 2:10, maybe even under 2:08:00. Of course the US's best
marathoners are running 10ks right now. Tick, tock, tick, tock....

Alan