On 1/14/16, René Rebe <r...@exactcode.com> wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> again I do not get this, the error pretty much says all:
>
>> # error "glibc cannot be compiled without optimization"
>

> Do you explicitly somehow build without optimization?
> Do you build with a newer bash that I intentionally avoided so far due to
> too many regressions?
> etc, … ?
>
>       René

Hi guys, I am doing a native build with T2 on the Raspberry Pi3,
running Quirky 8.1.3.1.

As I now have my 1TB USB3 hard drives working with the Pi3, as
documented here, the opportunity has arisen to give T2 a go:

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00465

I chose the "embedded" target, cortex-a8 CPU as there isn't a
cortex-a7 option. I am using my old download of T2 from early 2015, as
it has many fixes for Quirky builds.

Slow of course, but it got through Stage 0 overnight, using 3 cores.
Had to fix a few things along the way. Then at Stage 1, glibc, hit the
same error as reported in this thread.

Why is it gives an error about no optimization? I haven't done
anything. I looked in glibc.conf, there is a line that prefixes
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g -DNDEBUG=1" in front of the "../configure ...."

So, it seems that the prior value of CFLAGS does not have any optimisation set.

So, I inserted "-O" in that line, CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g -DNDEBUG=1 -O",
now glibc has compiled OK.

It has now failed at Stage 1, dietlibc. That one has also been
reported in this mail-list, I will go an reread that thread.

Regards,
Barry Kauler