On 6/4/21 7:17 am, scsijon wrote:
On 5/4/21 6:59 pm, scsijon wrote:
On 5/4/21 3:47 am, scsijon wrote:
On 4/4/21 1:53 pm, scsijon wrote:
So i'll consider for now that 40-minimal-xorg build as completed and passed building.

Ok so i decided to 'test the waters' since 'things seemed to be going well'!

And it failed as expected

First problem has come from clang, something I haven't used or know anything about other than it exists. We don't use it in the puppy Linux world, although I expect we will need to do so eventually.

Aftre the fail and from doing some reading it seems that the latest clang version expects a reasonably up to date cmake, and in T2 we are still at 3.16.4, latest is 3.20.0, clang 11.1.0 wants a minimum of a 3.19.x apparently. So i need to update cmake and i'll rerun the 40-minimal-xorg to make sure it hasn't broken anything else before I start the 50-minimal-desktop build run.

Ok, i'm trying cmake 3.19.7 first since it is the one mentioned in the clang doccumentation, to start with you don't need the patch file now it's inbuilt so you can either remove it or rename with a .disabled at the end so it's not added in, secondly you need to build cmake at stage 4 before rebuilding at stage 5, it's got a openssl dependancy to deal with and that's not built until stage 3. There is a way around it, but there is a note that it doesn't always work in 3.19.x. It properly built at stage 5 so all i need to do is a basic testset and i'll retry building a 40-~ with the latest cmake 3.20.0 (I usually don't build a x.x.0 release as it's buggy normally, but we will see what happens this time). I'll do the 3.20.0 tomorrow as i do have to do some work tonight.

I still don't know if i need clang, but it's worth getting it sorted out anyway for others and if i need it in the coming months.

ok, cmake 3.19.7 builds it all ok, changing to 3.20.0 gives errors with util-linux to start with and our util-linux is the latest si i've gone back to 3.19.7 and retrying a last build. If it doesn't give problems i'll submit an update to Rene if he hasn't already done it.

And Rene has updated cmake to 3.20.0, i'm keeping mine at 3.19.7 for now as i know it all builds, else i would need to start 40-~ again and i want to progress onwards at this point of time.

And he's done 'something' with clang so maybe it will work first-time for me, many thanks.

I'm doing a final 40-~ build using the stage 9 setting as a final check and since it's up to 9-linux i'm taking it, that it will all complete, so a 'first' real 50-minimal-desktop build next.

regards

scsijon