Sponsored by TWIST - Tablet Weavers International Studies & Techniques

Howdy everybody!

I'm going to be in Santa Monica teaching at the
Fabulous Fiber Fest -
http://www.thefiberfest.com/ this August 17-19.

It's not up on the webpage yet, but I'm going to do a
two-part hands-on workshop on card weaving.

Class descriptions follow.  The supplies fee will be
in addition to whatever the Festival decides to set as
a class fee; we're still working on that.  Each
section is 3 hours.  There are three classes and one
show-and-talk; we're planning to repeat the Silk Work
class twice in one day if there's enough interest.

Talk/Demo:

Silk worker Michael Cook will talk all about silk -how
and where it's raised, its histories and mysteries,
its tips and techniques.  This talk includes equal
parts of fiber arts and entomology, with a healthy
splash of history and culture.  Learn the difference
between Bombyx and the three kinds of Tussah.  Learn
about the different kinds of vanya (semi-domesticated)
silks from India, and how and where they're grown.
See a live demonstration of the reeling of filament,
and gain a more thorough understanding of this
beautiful,fascinating fiber!

Silk Work Sampler:

In this three-hour hands-on workshop,students will
learn to reel two different styles of silk - lumpy
andcomplex Lao style, with all its slubby charm, and
sophisticatedJapanese fine filament, suitable for the
most delicate weaving andembroidery.  Then, we'll turn
on the degumming kettle, and learn abouthow to make
silk hankies (mawatas) and how to degum filament silk
for yarn.  Students will make small sample skeins to
keep.  $10 materials fee covers extensive handouts,
cocoons for use in class, a sample set of cocoons to
keep for reference, and all chemicals.  Students with
chemical sensitivities may want to bring gloves and/or
goggles - the chemicals used are very similar to
strong laundry or dish detergent.

Card Weaving 101: Basics

Students will learn the basics of card weaving,
including how to warp (and warp FAST!) and weave basic
patterns.  This class will use pre-warped tablets to
get you to the weaving sooner - I do the warping at
home for the first batch, then show how it's done and
give you a chance to practice.  We'll cover simple
black and white patterns, including warpwise stripes,
weftwise stripes, checks, and chevrons.  $15 materials
fee covers handouts, pre-warped packet of 15 tablets,
and yarn for weft.  You will need to bring some sort
of tensioning setup - an inkle loom works perfectly,
but two clamps and a board will do fine, or we can tie
you to the table for backstrap style in a pinch!
Scissors and other necessary tools will be provided.
If you have tablets already, and want to bring them
already warped up, the handouts and incidentals will
just be $2, and please contact me to get detailed
information on how to set up the loom!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Card Weaving 102: Advanced Techniques

This class will cover more advanced techniques for
turn-patterned and supplemental-weft decoration.
Three techniques will be covered in this class:
Egyptian Diagonals, Double Face, and Brocade.  Double
Face and Brocade can be used for a wide variety of
lettering, imagery, and other designs.  Students will
work on the SAME set of tablets as used in Card
Weaving 101; if you want an additional set, please
include a second $15 supply fee.  $2 covers handouts
with graphs and charts, plus supplemental brocade
wefts.  If you plan to attend Card Weaving 102 without
Card Weaving 101, please contact me to discuss where
we'll be starting.

Email me if you have any questions about the class;
email Mariko (at the Fiber Fest website) if you have
any questions about the event, registration, etc.

Michael