Hello Michael
  I have not tryed it myself - but one of my pupills tryed with 4 bordertablets
on each side - to turn them a ½ turn forwards- (the pattern tablets only 1/4
turn),  the next turn ½ backwards - still the pattern tablets only 1/4 turn.
  In that way the tension wil not be so strong on the bordertablets, and the
looking at the   outer bord - it looked like a kind og knitting.
  As I said, I have not yet tryed it for myself, but I think it is worth a try

  Yours
  Irene Lyng
  Dk. Denmark

Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev:
  Sponsored by TWIST - Tablet Weavers International Studies & Techniques

I'm coming to the realization that I'm a bit of a
heretic on tablet-woven edges. I just don't like the
borders where all the tablets turn one direction for
long stretches. I have done them a bunch of different
ways, different configurations, etc. - and they just
look unattractive on my work, and they make it ripple
when I do the reverses every few inches. If I don't
do the reverses, my tension suffers. I did them for a
long time because I had read that it was the Right
Thing to Do, and I never liked them, but I felt like
they needed to be there. I'm giving them up.

Along with this realization, is the realization that
I'm still producing good work, so my heresy isn't all
that bad. It was surprising how much of a weight this
lifted off my shoulders - I think I was feeling guilty
for not liking them!

Is there anybody else out there who has decided to
dispense with the all-one-direction edges?

Is there anyone with a cogent and convincing argument
why they're a good idea?

Most of my work is DF, or at least a DF ground for
brocading, so the turning sequence is 2F2B. The edges
seem crisp, even, and very stable. I'm usually
working pretty fine, so that may be helping.

Michael
www.wormspit.com
currently weaving: 3/100 silk ribbon, 41 cards,
double-face knotwork pattern