Richard Mann wrote:
> I really wouldn't try to do something massively different from what
> has gone before. Instead it's probably better to use fewer tags more
> simply, and avoid using tags in situations & for meanings that are
> unclear/disputed.
>
> highway=path for rough paths
> highway=footway for paved paths
> bicycle=yes if bikes are definitely allowed, and unlikely to be revoked
> bicycle=permissive if it looks like the land is private and someone
> could attempt to ban cycling in future

The above explanations are subjective perception & has no relevance to
tagging in OSM.

For example how rough is rough? A couple of loose chippings or rutted
mud with boulders?

> highway=cycleway only used for well-engineered & public/permanant
> cycle tracks (ie could you safely do 20kph on it)

???
It's only a cycleway only if it's signed or documented as a cycleway.

Your logic is flawed:
"Cycle up a steep hill at 20kph? No? Oh, well, it can't be a cycleway
then can it"

If your assuming that cycleway are only like the paved ones that follow
the at the side roads then you're looking a then from a very narrow
point of view.

Tag what you can actually see.

Cheers
Dave F.