On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Alex Mauer <ha...@hawkesnest.net> wrote:

>> Close - but bicycle=yes just means bicycles are legal
>> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access). For "suitability"
>> (whatever that means), I'd suggest bicycle=yes + bicycle:suitable=yes.
>
> In point of fact I would do neither, because I don’t see the need to
> point out particularly suitable biking routes that aren’t officially
> designated bike routes.  Any way of doing so would be far too subjective
> for my tastes.  But if I really felt a strong need to apply a tag for
> some reason, it would be bicycle=yes.

Yes, I agree with all of that - but remember that bicycle=yes refers
to legality only.

My point is that if there are some who feel the need to tag
suitability, this should be done with a new tag, such as *:suitable=*
(as no current tags are documented as referring to suitability - and
with good reason).