On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:06 AM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> therefore, highway=footway, bicycle=designated means highway=cycleway,
>> foot=designated, which means highway=path, foot=designated,
>> bicycle=designated.

No, a highway=footway, bicycle=designated is not the same as
highway=cycleway, foot=designated. If you just try to understand the
wiki definitions and not over-interpret them, you see that cycleway is
mainly/exclusively for bicycles where pedestrians might be allowed or
tolerated (depending of the country) and a footway is
mainly/exclusively for pedestrians where bicycles might be allowed or
tolerated.
These definitions feet well for countries where the
"mainly/exclusively" role is easy to determin which seems to be the
case in Europe. If it is not possible in Australia (or US), then
create you Australian:Map Features page like the 33 other countries
and write you own refinement of the tag definitions.

> Yeah, it's a bit ugly. Should we be deprecating one or the other, or doing
> mass updates or something?

They can be replaced by a path + *=designated if you like but
deprecating the shorthands was massively rejected at the "path" key
creation.

Pieren