I'm a little bit worried about using admin_level, as it has
connotations of control, not just level.  It could be misinterpreted
as who controls an airfield, rather than how important it is.

What you're trying to do here is give a renderer explicit hints on how
important something is, and what zoom level it should be on.  This
concept can be used for many things other than airfields.  I'd prefer
to see a generic importance tag of some sort (render_level, or
render_importance) than can be used in many places, rather than an
airfield specific one. You can still have specific rules for deciding
how to apply the level, but if we can use the hinting for other
things, and renderers can implement it only once, it's more likely to
be accepted.  Maybe something like Render_hint = 3, hint
type=aerodrome if we do need to differentiate between the hint types.

I think this concept is important.  People can come up with all sorts
of algorithms for ranking things according to all sorts of rules, and
none of them will work on every occasion.  We need some explicit
method of hinting to a renderer that a certain object is more or less
important than it might otherwise appear. Or that this one of the six
or seven nearly identical objects in a certain area is the one that
should be rendered if you don't have room to label them all.  The
renderer can always ignore the hint if it likes.

This kind of prioritisation is exactly the sort of thing that people
can do really well, and machines suck at.

Stephen